Old January 19th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Alan

|"Robm" wrote in message
| Hello,
|
| I will be traveling for about 5 weeks in Australia, one week in Sydney, a
| few days in Adelaide, a roadtrip from there to Melborne, a week on
| Mornington. I understand that internet cafes tend to be pricey and not
| ubiquitous. In addition, I need to be able to VPN into various computer
| networks in Canada, something that's usually impossible from an internet
| cafe. Is it possible to make a a short term deal with a dial-up isp with a
| country wide (or at least SA, NSW and VIC) access number? I was looking at
| ii and their iidialup2 lite package. Would that work? They have a nation
| wide access number that works for residential customers of Atlantis,
| Discovery, Explorer, Freedom and, you guessed it, iidialup2. Are these
| providers common? would this work in a hotel? How about from a public
| phone booth, assuming that public phones have modem plugins (not a good
| aasumption maybe)?
|
| The other thing that comes up a lot on Google is dialer.net
| (http://australia.dialer.net/rates.html). Anybody has any experience with
| that concept? I can't find anything in Google Groups on that, makes you
| think...
|
| Any and all comments appreciated!

Hi

The others are all quite correct - I've just spent six weeks wandering
NSW and VIC without a computer. Cafes are relatively cheap, but
libraries are cheaper. They're usually free (only one charged me on this
trip, $3.30 for an hour) but usually only open weekdays 10-4:30. You
will also find that many of the smaller towns have internet access in
the town's tourist advice centre.

Cheers, Alan