Old January 17th, 2006, 06:21 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Shimba Hills National Park

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 16:20:40 GMT, Liz wrote:

Are any Kenya spiders dangerous?

Liz,

in the dry north there's the Hunting Spider, a strange,
fast-running species where the males are orange and the females
light green.

They are feared because their bite can paralyze you for 24
hours, or so the locals say. Still not normally deadly.

I've seen both male and female in Katilu. They are kind of
beautiful. They can run very fast.

But in the north there are also all kinds of scorpions, some of
which are poisonous and whose bite can be very painful.

I'm not sure whether any of these occur near the coast, probably
not, but big spiders are often moderately poisonous.

None of these constitutes a significant risk to tourists.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.