Old November 8th, 2009, 04:43 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada
Dan C

Default Best way to book flights to/in the US?

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 21:00:38 +1100, Joey Hoffnaagle wrote:

Howdy Campers,

I'm currently planning a visit to Canada/US based to spend Christmas
with a friend and New Years at Times Square based on the rough
itinerary; 22nd Dec - Sydney to L.A.
23rd Dec - L.A. to Vancouver
29th Dec - Vancouver to New York
4th Jan - New York to Las Vegas
7th Jan - Las Vegas to Sydney (Via L.A.?)

Having never really booked a trip with stop-overs, can anyone advise
whether I'm likely to be better off trying to book a multi-city flight
plan with the stopovers - or just buying a normal return or one way
ticket to L.A. and then just organising the other legs (and return
flight) separately? Obviously, it's not exactly cheap season, so I'm
trying to keep the price as reasonable as possible and I've got a good
deal on the table for the first leg to L.A. that I'd like to book if
it's the best way?

Can any seasoned travellers throughout the US recommend whether I should
lock it in and set about looking online for the other legs, or is buying
the one multi-stop ticket usually more cost-effective. Likewise, what
timeframe (ie one week before, three months before etc) is generally the
best time to book the cheapest flights? Finally, can anyone recommend
any decent websites for domestic flights throughout US and Canada?

Any and all help is appreciated.

It's generally best to book it all at once, multi-stop as you called it.

Usually best prices are available if you buy at least 30 days prior to
flying.

Some sites for tickets:
http://www.expedia.com
http://www.cheaptickets.com
http://www.travelocity.com

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he garotted another passing Liberal.