Old February 18th, 2004, 12:19 AM
David J. Greenberger

Default JFK Airtrain: Good News, Bad News, Good News and Bad News

(Miguel Cruz) writes:

David J. Greenberger wrote:
There are two station exits, one to the parking lot and one to the
subway and neighborhood. Only the latter has faregates. Even the
direct /walking/ route from Howard Beach (the neighborhood or the
subway station) to the airport now has a $5 fee in each direction.

Is it possible to walk out the parking lot exit and around to the subway
station?

Yes. The nearest parking lot exit is the Lefferts Boulevard exit, at
the south edge of a massive five-roadway conglomeration of highways.
The closest subway station is the N. Conduit station, about a mile
away. There are two basic routes the cross under(?) the
megahighway and walk west along N. Conduit (the westbound service
road, so to speak, although it carries mostly Belt Parkway overflow
traffic) to the subway, or walk west through a construction site on
airport property just outside the parking lot fence and cross over the
Belt (etc.) on a two-lane road with no sidewalk. I don't know if the
former route has a sidewalk; I've only done the latter (in the
opposite direction).

If you're planning on taking that walk after flying in, I recommend
you do a trial run without luggage first.

The only way across the subway tracks between the Belt etc. and the
Rockaway peninsula is via the AirTrain turnstiles.
--
David J. Greenberger
New York, NY