Old February 18th, 2004, 05:45 AM
Miguel Cruz

Default JFK Airtrain: Good News, Bad News, Good News and Bad News

127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 wrote:
(Miguel Cruz) wrote:
Robert Coté wrote:
The whole concept of "free parking" has been confusing since the
Monopoly game put in the square. There is no free parking, it costs to
purchase land, build and maintain and somebody ends up paying for it.
It's bundled in the price of goods purchased at the big box or mall.
It's bundled in the movie ticket price, etc. However, this is a two
sided coin. Those big box prices are lower precisely because of the
large parking lot and business model built around it. You get those low
everyday prices even if you arrive by walking. In that case the parking
lot subsidizes pedestrians.

No it doesn't; that's not what "subsidize" means. Pedestrians don't add
any costs to be subsidized; in fact they are cheaper than drivers because
they don't push the parking lot usage closer to the
expansion-or-frustration tipping point. Their purchases contribute to the
bottom line just as much as drivers' purchases.

I don't know where you've been for the last 50 years or so, but most
development in the US in that time period has taken place outside of
concentrated urban areas, places that are too spread out to enable
walking to anything

I don't know where you've been for the last few postings, but that has
nothing to do with what we're talking about.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world:
http://travel.u.nu/