Old September 30th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Jack Campin - bogus address

How about Aigues Mortes (sp?) ?
Still the most impressive town fortifications for me.

For real massiveness, Istanbul's are surely the tops - one of the
last mediaeval walls to be finished, and a last-ditch effort at
saving an entire empire. Coming back to Edinburgh and seeing the
remains of the Flodden Wall from 1513, I felt like (Crocodile
Dundee voice) "you call that a wall?".

Diyarbakir's walls are impressive because of what they're made of
(black basalt). The best view of them is from the Tigris side,
elsewhere they tend to get swamped by the modern city in the same
way as York's.