Old October 12th, 2011, 07:36 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jeff Lanam

Default Road trip USA Nat'l parks

On 10/10/2011 6:33 AM, Panawe wrote:
Hi,

Advice please. I am planning a road trip (fly-drive from UK and stay in
hotels/motels) to the western US next year and I have a number of
questions.

I would like to go whale-watching and see Yosemite and Yellowstone Nat'l
parks (and others if feasible).

As others have mentioned, your plans include a lot of driving. What they
haven't mentioned is that there is likely to be construction along many
of the roads, particularly in the mountains. The season for road
construction is very short in those area, so expect delays.

For whale watching, I can recommend the Oceanic Society trips. They
always have a naturalist along who can be very informative. Note that in
September, the whale migration is out around the Farallon Islands, 27
miles off-shore. This is an all-day trip. The grey whales, which
migrate along the coast, start doing so in December.