Old January 10th, 2006, 12:43 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Bus to eastern Europe

I wonder if anyone has taken a bus to eastern Europe (particularly from
Germany or comparable) and their experiences. Would you recommend it,
and how is such an over 24 hour journey by bus?

I've done that sort of trip several times, one is written up at:
http://www.travel-library.com/europe...ip.campin.html

I wouldn't like to travel that way every time, but long bus trips
do show you things you wouldn't see any other way.

I would draw the line at sharing a bus I saw at a roadside stop in
northern Greece. It was Polish and filled with pilgrims on their
way to some destination in southern Europe or the Middle East. A
menacing-looking priest was ordering the passengers (who were mostly
rather old) out on the tarmac and onto their knees for compulsory
prayers. Bring on the chainsmoking Hungarian neds any day.