Old August 14th, 2008, 06:07 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Sapphyre

Default Mozambique's Currency Laws

On Aug 13, 1:14*pm, "tim....." wrote:
Such rules tend to be enforced by the banking system

There are usually no checks stopping you taking the money in and out of the
country, but you will find that nobody (official) wants to exchange it if
you do

tim

We're thinking about going to Angola after we do our little tour of
South Africa and Namibia. Same question, what about removing coins? I
read on the State Department site that if you try and take out
currency, it will be confinscated. I know that it's kind of difficult
to find out if you have any unless they do a thorough search, but I'm
more interested in the coins. If they screened checked baggage they'll
see them, or I take them in my carry on and they see them at the
airport. Even if I had ordinary coins from Canada (or elsewhere) they
might want to see to make sure it's not Angolan currency. Does anyone
know more about this?

And one more thing... if you're not allowed to take the coins out,
what do you do with your leftover change? I've always had a few coins
left over after being some place, so I'm sure other people do in
Angola.

Cheers,
S.