Old May 23rd, 2010, 12:31 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.photo.digital,uk.politics.misc
True Blue[_4_]

Default matador gored

On 23 May, 00:19, Robert Coe wrote:
On Sat, 22 May 2010 11:38:09 -0700 (PDT), BP killed my wrote:

: hardy ****in ha....excellent photo too
:
:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...69/Matador-esc...
:
: Matador escapes death by the skin of his teeth after horrific goring
: in Madrid bullfight
: By MAIL FOREIGN SERVICE
: Last updated at 6:18 PM on 22nd May 2010
: Comments (0)
: Add to My Stories
: WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT
: Spanish matador Julio Aparicio needed two operations after he was
: horrifically gored through the throat during a bullfight in Madrid.
: The half-ton bull, called Opiparo, struck after Julio Aparicio lost
: his footing and stumbled while carrying out a pass with is red cape in
: a packed Las Ventas bullring.
: One of the animal's horns tore into his throat and punched through the
: bottom of his mouth as the crowd screamed in horror at the bullfight
: last night.
:
: Impaled: Spanish bullfighter Julio Aparicio is gored through the
: throat during a packed bullfight at Las Ventas in Madrid
: The force of the impact lifted the matador into the air, puncturing
: his tongue and fracturing his jawbone, before the bull threw him to
: the sand.
: Fellow matadors dashed to the rescue and managed to distract the bull
: so medics could get to Mr Aparicio.
: The 41-year-old managed to struggle to his feet, but collapsed with
: blood pouring down his neck and had to be carried from the ring.
: He had an emergency one-hour operation in the Las Ventas medical
: centre, before being transfered to the October 12 Hospital in Madrid,
: where doctors performed an emergency tracheotomy and worked to
: reconstruct his jaw, tongue and the roof of his mouth during a six-
: hour operation.
:
: Critical: The torero was lifted off the ground by the force of the
: bull's impact before being hurled to the sand floor
:
: Shocked: Mr Aparicio had to have two emergency operations to install a
: tracheotomy and reconstruct his jaw and the roof of his mouth
: A spokesman for the hospital said: 'He remains in the intensive care
: unit of the hospital, has regained consciousness and his vital signs
: are stable.'
: His father, also called Julio Aparicio, said there were no
: complications during the surgery.
: He said: 'It was a serious goring. Almost his entire mouth was
: destroyed.
: 'It's too early to talk of recovery, we must wait and see.'
: The injury happened as Mr Aparicio was attempting the faena, a series
: of passes in which he uses his cape and sword before delivering the
: death blow - or estocada.
: It is not known what has happened to the bull.
:
: Horrific: The bullfighter loses his footing and slips to the sandy
: floor before the half-ton bull gores him through the throat
: Mr Aparicio, from Seville, comes from a well-known family of matadors.
: He is in a grave condition in hospital.
: Evening bullfights are watched by sell-out crowds at the 25,000 seat
: Las Ventas bullring and are broadcast live on cable television.
: Six bulls are killed in each bullfight.

Bah. The only horrific aspect to any of this is that bullfighting is allowed
in any allegedly civilized country. I feel, I guess, some sympathy for the
matador's family, but the matador himself got no more than he richly deserved.

Bob

I hope the bull is allowed the honours of the Victor.