Old September 12th, 2006, 04:40 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Liz Leyden

Default Kenya animal migration

In message .com
Paul Ngeresa Tour Consultant wrote:

We have secure streets and good hotels but sharing a room with a
stranger any where in the world is not safe.

It would be interesting to know the relative figures, raw and
proportionate of people robbed/attacked in Nairobi compared to people
robbed/attacked by strangers with whom they had to share on safaris.

A stranger is a person you dont know never spent time with, not your
friend which means you dont know him or her.

True, but I know a lot of 'former friends' who fell out on holiday and
never fell back in again.

Its not wise at all to share a room with a stranger.

In that case, since you're in the trade, you might do something to
persuade the lodges to stop the ridiculously high single supplements
in high season. I was sharing this year to avoid the supplement,
despite the fact that none of the lodges we stayed at were full. Even
the tented camp, Siana Intrepids, might not have been totally full,
but I didn't actually see any unused tents.

In my view the only justification for single supplements is if a place
is full, therefore they might have let the room one person is
occupying to two people. Even then, they might prefer to have one
person booking and paying 'up front' months in advance rather than the
off-chance that a couple might book late. If rooms are empty, just
think, they might have let them to a solo travellers if it weren't for
the single supplement, so they have shot themselves in the foot.

Slainte

Liz

--
http://www.v-liz.com - Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Galapagos