Old September 19th, 2009, 01:43 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
A Mate[_2_]

Default Accommodations and Transportation Advice

Erm!! New Zealand is a different country from Australia. Similar in many
ways - but quite different in terms of scale of distances; and - peculiarly
enough - in motel pricing and facilities; and hire car rates.

There are many second string car rental agencies in NZ that offer aged, but
reliable medium sized Japanese cars for a low price - which usually includes
unlimited kms and insurance. $40NZD per day will get you a good car.

Motels in NZ (outside Auckland) almost always have a fully equipped kitchen
in each unit. Prices about $85 to $100 NZD for a good quality motel.

"Rudy" wrote in message

We are planning our first trip to New Zealand Feb 19 - Apr 9. We arrive
in Aukland and plan to visit both islands.... Also wondering if
we should rent a car. Campervan. Buy a car. Or use the bus.

We went to OZ in '06 for 6 weeks. The locals said there'd be lots of
accomodation available (leftovers) from Olympics for $ 50 night so It
would be cheaper to rent a car rather than a campervan.

What we found was the places were there but had gone up to $ 75 night .
Cars are markedly cheaper to rent than the vans but adding the $ 75/day
would probably make it a "tie" [you still have to pay for most
campgrounds].

We put almost 10,000Km on 4 different rental cars...we always got one with
"Unlimited miles"

We did one flight (To Tassie) rather than the ferry by: www.jetstar.com
It was MUCH cheaper than the boat.
If you decide to fly, book over a week in advance and try to avoid
weekends for the best prices.

If you decide to rent a vehicle, we found our best deals at:
http://www.apollocamper.com/

They have both cars & Vans. Ask for the "CHEAPA" rental cars..3-4 yrs
old, in fine condition..much cheaper than the NEW ones.

We also found that there was internet access in every little town with a
library. Booked "same day" accomodation online more than once (since we
didnt know how long/far we'd get each day) at : www.kayak.com and
www.asia.com

Pretty well all this also applies to NZL.

Good luck