Old August 16th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Marc Lurie

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 06:43:45 GMT,
(Eupe-mbwa (Wh1t3d0g)) wrote:

Interesting observation! The only reason I can think of offhand is
that from my experience, *nobody* has change (ie coins or small
denomination notes) because most Zanzibaris have little money

SNIP
In truth I suspect that many Zanzibaris genuinely live from hand to
mouth and money is spent as soon as it is earned,

I would tend to aggree with this poster. In my experience with traders
and food merchants all over rural Africa I have found the vast
majority to be very honest in all dealings, even when they have ample
opportunity to "rip-off" an unknowing forigner. Their profit margins
are unbelievably small, perhaps only one or two percent at times.

Using a bread seller as an example, he would have to sell 40 or 50
loaves of bread to be able to afford one for himself. To be able to
afford enough food for his family for the day, he has to sell a hell
of a lot of bread.

I spoke to many beer sellers in Uganda while I was there, and they
mark up about 10% to 15% on their cost price. At a small roadside
restaurant in rural Gambia, the owner told me that he makes about 15%
on his wares.

The young boys and women who sell food to bus passengers as they slow
down for the road humps in towns and villages probably only make 2% to
5%.

Because of this hand-to-mouth existance, I suspect that as soon as
they receive money, they pay it to creditors to pay of the day's
debts.

Marc - Johannesburg