Old September 1st, 2006, 06:03 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

Default Overland Travel - Alice Springs - Ayers Rock

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 08:08:21 +0100, "Keith W"
wrote:

"Globetrotter" wrote in message
. au...
Am researching travel overland between Alice and Uluru. While searching
for info can anybody offer opinions as to car hire or travelling by bus.
I have ruled out air travel as its a bit expensive and you miss all the
scenery as well. We are travelling to Darwin on the Gahn and wish to break
our journey in Alice Springs before heading off to Katherine and Darwin

There are plenty of car hire outfits in Darwin, as google will show you.
I rented from Thrifty last time I was in town

Mind you, if you want to go from "The Alice" to Uluhru, it would be an
awful long way to hire the vehicle.....

Hiring in Alice Springs may be more desirable.

Keep in mind it is also a fair hike down to "The rock" from Alice.
Check your maps for ACTUAL distances.

Watch out for tourists taking photos on bends in the road as you
drive.

When we went there a couple of years back, we were just coming around
a blind bend and there was campervan stopped in the middle of the
road, with the occupants out on the road taking photos of camels !!!

If I had been a road train they may well have gone home in Bodybags.
What would have been left of them anyway.

Please take care and enjoy your trip.

There are also plenty of buses down to Uluru - again google
is your friend.

Quite a few operators do the run from Alice to Uluhru as Kieth says,
and you should be able to organise beforehand or I'm sure you could
find some shown at the station when you get to Alice Springs.

Tony

Keith