Old April 22nd, 2009, 07:09 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Ablang

Default Delta adds $50 fee for 2nd bags on international flights (newbookings, starting today, flights beginning July 1, 2009)

I hope Northwest or United doesn’t follow suit.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Delta Air Lines will start charging passengers on international
flights $50 for checking a second bag, saying it’s making the move in
response to the global recession.

As the first major U.S. carrier to charge a fee to check a second bag
on international flights, Atlanta-based Delta’s move could spur other
carriers to consider adding the fee as well.

The Delta fee is effective for new bookings starting today for
international travel beginning July 1. Some are exempt from the fee,
including business class passengers, elite-level SkyMiles frequent
flier members, active duty military traveling on orders and those who
bought a full-fare Y-class ticket. Delta expects the fee to bring in
more than $100 million in revenue annually.

Delta last year started charging passengers on domestic flights $15 to
check a first bag and $25 to check a second bag. For international
travel, Delta already charges $200 for a third checked bag.

“We have continued to unbundle certain fees to ensure passengers pay
for the services they choose to use,” said Delta spokesman Kent
Landers. “We believe applying this model on international economy
class tickets is appropriate based on the success we’ve had on baggage
fees in the United States.”

As it reported a $794 million net loss for the first quarter, Delta
also announced Tuesday it would ground its entire fleet of 14 Boeing
747-200 freighter jets effective Dec. 31 because of the age and
inefficiency of the aircraft. Delta acquired the freighters through
its merger with Northwest last year.

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/..._tab_newsta b