Old January 22nd, 2005, 11:04 AM
David Bennetts

"RQ" wrote in message
I may be visiting Australia and renting a car while there, but would like
better understand how the insurance system works, and how the various
coverages might relate to any coverage that might be provided by, say, my
credit card, what additional coverage I may need to purchase, etc.

1) How does the liability system for third party injuries, legal action
etc.
work? I.e. can drivers be sued as the result of a car accident (e.g. for
personal injuries to third parties), and if so, what insurance is included
and/or available to cover such potential liability? (I understand that in
New Zealand, drivers can't be sued for such damages, and instead personal
injury claims are covered by the governmental Accident Compensation
Corporation. Does a similar system exist in Australia?)

Before getting a vehicle registered in Australia you need "third party"
insurance which is basically for injury/liability.
We don't have a similar system to New Zealand. This type of insurance is
invariably included in the rental.

2) I took a look at one company's car rental "terms and condition"
document
available on the net (which doesn't seem to mention the personal
injury/legal liability issue raised above), and which includes some terms
which aren't really explained. It seems to say that the renter has to pay
the following, apparently on a "per incident" basis, regardless of cause
or
fault. No $ figures are given.

a) the "Loss or Damage Liability Fee",
b) the "Area of Use Liability Fee",
c) the "Single Vehicle Accident Liability Fee". (This one is explained
more
fully...i.e. no other vehicle involved, or the other vehicle is
stationary,
but no $ figure is provided.)

What do these terms (especially (a) and (b) refer to?

Check with the rental car company concerned - perhaps the one you're looking
at has an additional fee if you go beyond a certain distance or into another
state, with the major car rental companies you wouldn't usually have this
problem, commonly you'll find they rent out cars with interstate registraion
..

3) In general, what is included in the "standard cover" insurance included
with the basic rental cost, and what insurance must/can be purchased as
additional cover? The terms and conditions I looked at said that their
standard cover would also include amounts related to "prior accident value
or repair costs". Not sure what this means.

Would generally cover you for loss or damage to the vehicle, except for an
"excess" Note that you are often not covered for tyre or windscreen damage,
nor damage incurred when driving on unsealed roads. There will be other
exclusions, such as using the car for racing or towing for example.

4) What are the usual insurance excesses or deductibles (i.e. $ amounts)?
What are the usual $ limits on costs for damage to the rental vehicle
and/or
third party property damage (and legal liability, if it applies)?

Normally there are deductibles as you put it, they usually vary according to
the value of the car, the cheaper and smaller ones have smaller excesses
than the larger and more expensive models. They vary from company to
company, so you need to ask.

5) Are there any other issues car rental insurance which aren't
mentioned above but which should be taken into account when deciding on a
rental car arrangement?

You've looked into into quite thoroughly, but always ensure that you get a
condition report before driving off in the car, with any damage clearly
marked so that you don't get hit with a bill for pre-existing scrapes or
dents.

I realize that some of these parameters/costs will vary by rental company,
but I'd like to understand in general how the system works there, what
possible "fine print" to be aware of etc. All
comments/suggestions/personal
knowledge and experiences re this stuff appreciated.

RQ

Regards

David Bennetts
Australia