Old January 30th, 2009, 06:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc
Lou Ravi

Default Number of traffic fatalities in Belgium dropped spectacularly last year

Lord Taylor of Blackburn wrote:
http://www.deredactie.be/cm/de.redac...affic%2Bdeaths

Thu 29/01/09 17:20 (UPDATE video) - The number of traffic fatalities
in Belgium dropped spectacularly last year, according to preliminary
statistics for 2008. The data is based on figures from December 2007
to November 2008 and compared with the same period of the year prior.

Don't tell me they've introduced a driving test ;-)

[...}

The authorities are very pleased with the trend. In 2001 more than
1400 people died in traffic accidents in Belgium. The aim is to scale
traffic fatalities back to less than 500 by the year 2015.

Good luck to them. I must say I've always found Belgian drivers pretty
bad. In their defence I see them here nowadays, on holiday out of their
normal environment, a bit lost, hesitant and looking at the countryside
rather than the road and its traffic. I always leave a big gap if behind
as they seem to have a terrible tendancy to signal to turn right and
then turn left. When they don't suddenly stop in the middle of the road
to squint at the signposts that is.