Old January 31st, 2009, 12:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc
Lou Ravi

Default Number of traffic fatalities in Belgium dropped spectacularly last year

Lord Taylor of Blackburn wrote:
On Jan 30, 7:32 pm, "Lou Ravi" wrote:
Lord Taylor of Blackburn wrote:

http://www.deredactie.be/cm/de.redac...0129_traffic%2...

Thu 29/01/09 17:20 (UPDATE video) - The number of traffic fatalities
in Belgium dropped spectacularly last year, according to preliminary
statistics for 2008. The data is based on figures from December 2007
to November 2008 and compared with the same period of the year
prior.

Don't tell me they've introduced a driving test ;-)

1971 I believe, perhaps most of the bad drivers are now dead.....

Or still driving to their second homes in Provence ;-)

[...}

The authorities are very pleased with the trend. In 2001 more than
1400 people died in traffic accidents in Belgium. The aim is to
scale traffic fatalities back to less than 500 by the year 2015.

Good luck to them. I must say I've always found Belgian drivers
pretty bad. In their defence I see them here nowadays, on holiday
out of their normal environment, a bit lost, hesitant and looking at
the countryside rather than the road and its traffic. I always leave
a big gap if behind as they seem to have a terrible tendancy to
signal to turn right and then turn left. When they don't suddenly
stop in the middle of the road to squint at the signposts that is.

indeed, driving is not their strong point, and they still persist with
priority to the right ********.....just paint a white line on the
road !

Do the?. Even the French have given that up since they discovered the
roundabout about twenty years ago. Now they are every hundred yards or
so.