Old July 30th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Otis McNatt

Default Clueless first-timer needs advice about cruises please

Juliana wrote:

Just a quickie. I know that a lot of people are taking a "Try it you'll
like it" attitude toward dress on Celebrity. I'd like to suggest a different
tack. If you can rethink this, you might consider a cruise on Norwegian,
Royal Caribbean, or possibly Carnival (depending on the ship) or on
Princess.

All of these cruise lines will let you be casual at dinner, and not feel
funny about it. I suspect with Celebrity you will either cave or feel a
little like a fish out of water.

Thanks for touching on this Juliana. I was beginning to suspect that
I'd happened on a cruise line that emphasized glitz, and that they
were not all the same.

I realize that since the cruise business now caters to the masses, that
dress codes may be desirable because I know how some people are. Some folks
would show up for dinner wearing their grungy old sandals and tank tops,
with all their pimples showing...YUK. Then again, you can put a nice suit
or evening gown on a boor, and they're still boorish; but I guess they
would look a little nicer anyway. But the bottom line is that my idea
of a tropical vacation does not include packing a suit for any reason.
And my wife feels the same way. Our idea of "casual" does not require
slacks, or "golf" wear, as Ive read. If we can't wear shorts everywhere,
then we don't care to be there.

And thanks a bunch to everyone who posted. All were read, and all were
informative!

--
Otis