Old March 12th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Carmen L. Abruzzi

Default National Parks

Keith Willshaw wrote:

"philip" wrote in message

I am from Hong Kong and is planning to visit the following National

Parks -

[...]

Zion National Park

Yosemite National Park

From Zion/Bryce get back on to I-15 and drive
West to Barstow, from there take SR-58 to
Bakersfield and the US-395 North and finaly
SR-120 East to Yosemite

This is confused. If you go to Bakersfield you'd take California route
99 north to CA-120 east. Taking US 395 north to Yosemite from (just
west of) Barstow will be a far more scenic route, BUT it can only be
done after Tioga Pass opens in late May to mid-June.

You can also get to US395 by going through Death Valley National Park,
but this will probably take longer than going down to Barstow, as you
will be crossing several mountain ranges into and out of DV.

This is a LONG trip and if you plan to go back from
Salt Lake City I'd advise omitting Yosemite as its going
to add several days driving

Yes, whichever route you take, it's a long drive. The _shortest_ route
would be to go north from Las Vegas on US95, Nevada State Routes
266/264, US6 to CA120 west. This is the route Mapquest returns, and
it's well over 500 miles and 12 hours driving.