Old January 5th, 2004, 04:07 AM
Bill

Default US going metric?

"jj" wrote in message
I'm curious, has there ever been an attempt at going metric in the US?

e.g.
using Celsius? How do people feel about it?

jj

Back in the 70's they took some early steps with some highway signs in KM's.
That didn't last. Basically Americans like what's familiar.

To me it would make sense for weights and distances. But, sorry, but for
air temperature, Fahrenheit makes so much more sense, with zero to 100 being
about the range of temps we see in a the northern US. Yeah, some places go
below zero, and some go above 100. But it is so much more informative than
the much more limited range on the Celsius scale. Celsius makes more sense
for scientific work though.

Scientists in the US do use only metric.