Old September 6th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Hans Martens

Marc Lurie wrote:
The insurance that the chap at the border was trying to sell you IS
actually mandatory. It is not insurance for the vehicle as such (which
is covered by the rental company) but third-party road insurance.
Most, if not all, countries in Southern and East Africa have a
mandatory third-party insurance fee. In COMESA countries there is a
"Yellow Card" that covers all COMESA countries.

Marc, thanks for the info. According to the rental company we got the
4x4 from, they have a company wide Third Party Insurance which also
covers Zambia. So according to them we did not need any additional
insurance when bringing their vehicle into Zambia.

And indeed the Zambian police was friendly.

Regards,
Hans

Hans Martens

Wildlife & Nature Photography