Old July 6th, 2005, 03:12 AM
A Mate

Lotta' Drama Queens on the Gold Coast. They love to have the 'biggest' -
'most expensive' - 'most exclusive' etc etc etc

It was an extraordinary fall of rain for 12 hours - but permanent damage was
very limited. One unfortunate couple were drowned when they drove into a
flooded creek crossing.

Everything is now back to normal!

"Kent Smith" wrote in message
Alan S wrote:
On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 15:13:15 +1000, "A Mate"
wrote:

It was very localised flooding which affected only low lying
creekside suburbs and facilities (Coolangatta Airport is right
beside Pigabeen Creek). It did result in some road closures as high
tide coincided with heavy (1 in 1000 year rainfalls) bucketing,
rain. But everything is well back to normal now!

"Kent Smith" wrote in message
What's this region like as holiday destination at the moment? I
suspect flooding was in isolated areas as all hotels I rang say
it's all cleaned up
now. But then, they would say that wouldn't they. Any first
hand independent experiences to confirm this?

Thanks

-KENT

Hi Kent

The floods have all cleared except for casual water in some
low-lying areas and canefields. I drove today from
Pottsville (home) to Broadbeach via the inland freeway and
returned via the coastal highway - no problems anywhere,
business as usual.

It was a problem for two days only while we were cut off;
the airport was closed for only one day. My creek stopped
about 60cm (2') below the level needed to wet the floor:-)

No worries - come on out:-)

That's good to know, we almost change our minds. We listened intently to
the media for the extent of the incident but it was mysteriously excluded
from all reports (including Australian ones). Pretty poor really. Maybe
over sensationalised. They made it sound like it had been washed away
completely.

Thanks

-KENT