Old November 5th, 2015, 09:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
SMS

Default Manual or Automatic Rental in Countries that Drive on the Wrong(Left) Side of the Road

On 11/4/2015 4:07 AM, Don Wiss wrote:
On Tue, 3 Nov 2015, "tim....." wrote:

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Oct 2015, "tim....." wrote:

sms wrote in message
The most exciting trip was when we ended up going over Conor Pass rather
than taking the road I had planned to take. I later learned more about
Conor Pass at
http://www.dangerousroads.org/europe/ireland/1891-conor-pass.html.

ISTM that this road is only going to be dangerous if you act the complete
idiot

No. I drove over the Conor Pass in June 2006 (starting from Dingle). It
was truly scary. It was all fog.

well how does that make the road scary in good weather?

It was good weather down below. The pass is so high up it is in the clouds.
So by fog I meant all cloud. I would think that the pass is often in the
clouds.

While I like vacations where I can not have to have a car, in Ireland
you're kind of stuck renting a car if you want to go to anywhere
interesting. It can get expensive too, since most credit cards exclude
Ireland for CDW, though a couple of World Mastercards include it. You
have to bring a letter proving that your credit card provides coverage,
but fortunately the credit card issuers know exactly what you're looking
for when you call them and ask for this. With the narrow roads, and the
vegetation scratching the car, it's easy to get some damage.

My Irish friend was spot-on when he told me the place I would forget
about the left hand driving--it's tee intersections. Had one close call.

I did enjoy using the bike share bicycles in Dublin. My son and I had
had it with museums so we left my wife at some boring museum and went
out on bicycles.

I was very pleased that Ireland honors one of the best U.S. presidents
in history along one freeway
http://irishfireside.com/2014/06/09/curious-tale-irish-rest-stop-named-us-president/.