Old November 6th, 2015, 09:02 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mark Brader

Default Manual or Automatic Rental in Countries that Drive on the Wrong(Left) Side of the Road

Steven Scharf:
While I like vacations where I can not have to have a car, in Ireland
you're kind of stuck renting a car if you want to go to anywhere
interesting. It can get expensive too, since most credit cards exclude
Ireland for CDW, though a couple of World Mastercards include it. You
have to bring a letter proving that your credit card provides coverage...

I have a credit card that includes CDW coverage in all countries.
(It's from the Royal Bank of Canada and is designed with good travel
benefits.) Earlier this year at the city office of Avis in Dublin,
I was not asked for any written proof of this when I declined CDW.
Looking at the rental agreement, it appears that there's a declaration
I was supposed to sign to the effect that I had insurance, but I don't
seem to have had to do that either.

but fortunately the credit card issuers know exactly what you're looking
for when you call them and ask for this. With the narrow roads, and the
vegetation scratching the car, it's easy to get some damage.

My rental agreement does say that Avis's CDW coverage specifically
excludes damage to the upper part of the vehicle caused by "hitting
low objects, such as bridges or branches".
--
Mark Brader First, the next time you buy a house, get one that
costs exactly $100,000. It makes the math easier.