Old August 19th, 2010, 05:53 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

Default moderate climates - low energy bills

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:06:49 -0400, "Tim923"
wrote:

What are the east coast states/areas that require the lease amount of
air-conditioning and heat? What about the whole country.

I lived in Brevard County, Florida. I loved the climate, but the AC sure
ran a lot of the time.

The California Coast has a moderate Mediterreanean climate, with
cool summers and moderate winters. There are quite a few
localities that might fit your requirements, including the South
Bay of San Francisco Bay; I've seen it claimed that the bayside
peninsula from about Mountain View north to San Bruno has about
teh best climate in the world. I worked in Palo Alto for some
fourteen years and it only had a mild freeze once (a skin of ice
on some puddles).

Santa Barbara is nice, too.

The coast has dry summers, with barely any rainfall at all. There
is coastal fog in the summers along the coast, though, and a
marine cloud layer that makes it a bit grey during mornings.

Winters have intermittent rains storms moving in off the coast,
and it can be a bit cool. Typically, the SF Bay Are might have
nightly lows of 45F and highs of 55F. Further south you can jack
those figures up five or ten degrees.

you have to be careful of the mini-climates, though. Everything
I've mentioned so far is strictly alont the coast as far back as
the coast range of mountains. In the SF area once you get east of
the Berkeley Hills, summer temps of over 100F are common even
though San Francisco, only twenty miles west has a high of about
65F, making it quite a change for commuters on BART as teh travel
from SF to Walnut Creek.

San Francisco itself is a special case, along with Some coastal
areas to the south. I lived in Daly City and Pacifica for some
sicteen years, and we never turned off our heater because it was
chilly and humid.

On the other hand, air conditioned homes are kind of rare along
the Calfornia coast.