Old October 19th, 2003, 09:16 PM
psmith

Default Nice Ugly Americans

Whether you like it or dislike it, 24 hour and 7 day shopping is hardly the
measure of progress or civilisation. I would have thought, it was a
convenience which some groups or countries value more than others.

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
Reidİ wrote:
Following up to Go Fig
Unless its for travel, Germany's millions can do very little shopping

on
Sunday and restricted on Saturday.

Decidedly a poor quality of life measurement for me.

unless you work in retail, what some americans don't seem to get
is that one mans convenience is another mans inconvenience.

I never understood this. Is anyone forced to work the night shift? The
people who would otherwise be working a second job to earn a little more
money could instead just be underemployed.

It seems the only beneficiaries of this are tiny shopowners who just don't
feel like dealing with the hassle of staying open past dinnertime, and

have
managed to persuade the government to ensure it's not an option.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.