Old June 2nd, 2012, 07:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerrit

Default Beware - Visa Only "allowed" 50 Euro from ATM in Germany

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 15:23:59 +0800, "Gerrit" wrote:

"tim...." wrote in message

"Erilar" wrote in message
"tim...." wrote:
Was travelling back through Germany two days ago and because I had
mistakenly booked a hotel that didn't accept cards and had spent all
of
my
stash of Euro on an unexpected (unavoidable emergency) purchase I
needed
get some Euro in a hurry.

So went to the ATM and the bloody thing would only give me 50 Euro.
Thought
that it was because it was out of cash so I tried the one next to it
with
the same result.

Then I noticed a sticker on it stating that "VISA" were restricting
withdrawals to 50E.

What's that all about?

And what flipping use is 50 Euro a time. I'd be going to the machine
every
day with that restriction. Something which I really hate doing. Not
mention getting the charged minimum fee on my card for such a trivial
amount
(yes Visa, 50 Euro is a trivial amount!)

Is it just this particular bank (Sparkassa) or a general rule?

tim

Sounds local. In late April i encountered a similar problem in
Kelheim:
the hotel's card machine was not working, so since I had to use the ATM
and
had a week to go, I just asked it for 400 Euro. No problem. My VISA is
debit card. Could that be the difference?

I only get cash on a debit card - the fees on that are high enough :-(

tim

I have two credit cards. One of them I load up with cash before leaving
home
and so can use it as a debit card. The other I use for normal
transactions.
Works for me.
I hope this 50 Euro limit is not applicable in the Netherlands or in
Canada

It certainly doesn't apply to UK.

(going there in August and September).

Your annual pilgrimage to Pernis? :-)

Gerrit - Oz

--

Martin

Actually don't go there often.
As you are no doubt aware there isn't much to see there. I'm glad my folks
fled to Australia.
Going to see my wife's father (94) and then on to Canada for a wedding
anniversary celebration with all the kids. One lives in Sweden, 3 in Canada
and 1 in Oz. They will all be in Ontario for the event.

Gerrit - Oz