Old June 5th, 2012, 01:11 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

Default Beware - Visa Only "allowed" 50 Euro from ATM in Germany

tim.... wrote:

"Erilar" wrote in message
"tim...." wrote:
Was travelling back through Germany two days ago and because I had

[]
Is it just this particular bank (Sparkassa) or a general rule?

tim

Sounds local. In late April i encountered a similar problem in Kelheim:
the hotel's card machine was not working, so since I had to use the ATM
and
had a week to go, I just asked it for 400 Euro. No problem. My VISA is a
debit card. Could that be the difference?

I only get cash on a debit card - the fees on that are high enough :-(

Tangentially, what bank are you using? I have fairfx euro, sterling and
dollar cards- while not as cheap as Nationwide (which was practically
free) when they had excellent rates, they're far cheaper than my regular
bank (RBS)- and I've found them very reliable, using them in various
European countries, USA and as far afield as India and Peru. The euro
card is particularly good value for me- the exchange rate has around
1.5-2% commission, and there's a ¤1.50 charge for cash withdrawals (I
take large amounts, e.g. 450 euro in Ghent over the weekend.) However,
when you use the card as a debit card for purchases in euro (or dollars)
when they are the local currency there is no charge. They are pre-paid
cards, so that's where much of the money is made I imagine (you get no
interest)- and they are very quick to charge, takes a few seconds
online, and the money is available in minutes.

David

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)