Old August 25th, 2009, 09:19 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Peter T. Daniels[_2_]

Default Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel to NYC

On Aug 25, 3:22*pm, "Joseph D. Korman" wrote:
Peter T. Daniels wrote:
On Aug 25, 1:33 pm, "Joseph D. Korman" wrote:

Peter T. Daniels wrote:

On Aug 25, 9:07 am, (Steven M. O'Neill) wrote:

Peter T. Daniels wrote:

On Aug 24, 6:54 pm, "Joseph D. Korman" wrote:

However, I'm not sure how you can get a reduced fare Metrocard from out
of town. *The walk in center is *near Wall St. *So if you're planning to
visit there, perhaps that could be your first stop. *They are open M-F
9a-5p. *Web sitehttp://www.mta.info/nyct/fare/rfcenter.htm

In Chicago 15 years ago when I got my mother a discount CTA card, it
took about a month for the request to be processed (she didn't need to
be there to get it done), but it was good forever after. It probably
works similarly here, so you probably have time to do the paperwork
before your visit.

Good guess, but too bad you didn't follow that link there you
quoted.

* * Sign Up for Reduced-Fare MetroCard

* * If you are 65 or older

* * * * * Bring proof of age - driver's license, Medicare card or
* * * * * birth certificate (one must have a photo)

* * * * * We'll help you complete your application, and take your
* * * * * photograph.

* * * * * Notary not necessary

* * * * * Leave with your new Reduced-Fare MetroCard

So it's your recommendation that our 5- or 6-day visitors spend
several hours in Downtown Brooklyn first? Just _finding_ the MTA
building is a challenge.

They asked about reduced fares. *Brooklyn has nothing to do with it any
more. *The walk in center is in lower Manhattan around the corner from 2
Broadway at 3 Stone Street - Between Broadway and Broad Street.

*From there one could walk to the Staten Island Ferry, the Statue of
Liberty/Ellis Island Ferry, Wall St, and the South Street Seaport.

Any one of those three -- SoL, EI, or Seaport -- would use up the
entire amount saved by getting the senior discount!

What are you talking about? *The senior discount for Metrocard fares is
half of the regular unlimited card (except for the one day pass).

7-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCard
Cost: $27, reduced fare $13.50
Good for unlimited subway and local bus rides until midnight, 7 days
from day of first use.

*If* *they are going to visit any of those locations, while there they
could pick up the discount card. * They lose nothing on going to those
sites and still pay half fare for all of the subway/bus trips they will
take for the week.

And the $13.50 saved is approximately equal to the Statue of Liberty
Ferry ticket, and a lot less than the South Street Seaport admission.
MoMA, Whitney, and Guggenheim all also ask $18-$20. (The Guggenheim is
pay-what-you-wish on Saturday evening.)