Old June 22nd, 2005, 09:39 PM
alnmel

Wow! You did have a bad cruise.

1) would knowing about previous illness have kept me from boarding?
No, but then I'm healthy and willing to risk it. I've read the stories
and know it's possible, but then so is getting sick at a movie theater
or bar or hotel or resort or airplane or work or...

2) Do I feel entitled to a full refund if the ship posts a note saying
somebody got sick on the last cruise, and based on that information I
choose not to board? Hmmmm. Depends on the extent of the infection.
If they say every single person got sick and nobody enjoyed themselves
then perhaps I would choose not to go. Under those circumstances I
would expect for them to pull the ship out of service for a period of
'disinfecting time'. If they do that then yes, I would expect a
refund.

3) Am I entitled to a full refund if I'm on the cruise and get sick and
don't enjoy myself? Gosh - I've had headaches, sunburn aches, wallet
aches. I imagine I'd first have to demonstrate that my illness was
directly related to negligence on the part of the ship and/or crew.
How do I prove that I got sick onboard, not from the plane trip down or
a port of call or a co-worker (or morning sickness :-). And even if it
was from another passenger, well that's a risk I run everywhere! Now
if it was a lingering infections caused by lack of sanitation that is
another thing completely - but how to prove? That's a tough nut to
crack and I wouldn't want to be in the cruise lines shoes if they had
to make that determination. Seems like a lose/lose to me. What if I'm
only a little sick so I choose to stay in my cabin one day - missing 7
meals (at least :-) and a port of call (and a comedian and an ice
carving lesson). Gosh - how do we determine exactly how much money I
should receive for my inconvenience? I know that sounds a bit flip,
but these are things to consider. Where do you draw the line, and what
about that inevitable group of people that STILL don't think they were
fairly compensated?

4) What responsibility does the cruise line have..... That is just
too big a question.

Do I think that Royal Caribbean kept something 'under wraps'? Well you
got the info from the CDC right? Heck, I don't advertise to people
that I had the flu last week. And how could Royal Caribbean know other
people were sick if those people chose not to see a doctor? They
didn't 'intentionally' keep that info from surfacing, they just *didn't
know* about the other people you spoke with who told you they didn't
see the ships doctor (is what is sounds like to me).

In this day and age, with reports of virus outbreaks aboard what seems
like every ship (regardless of the line), and hospitals/nursing homes
etc, would I go to one of these places if my health were in precarious
condition? No, probably not.

You were stuck in your cabin for 3 days, and then they kept you from
leaving the boat after that? I don't understand that at all! That
sounds like they were restricting your movements even after the
quarantine, and I would consider that wrong!

I just can't understand how a free cruise would magically fix your
situation. You say 'reliving the moments of your anniversay and
birthday were not retrievable'. But a free cruise would make it okay?
I'm sorry you were sick. I'm sorry you were misdiagnosed too. You
didn't mention what information you passed along to the ships doctor,
so I don't know if you were saying that he just didn't pay attention to
you or what. If it's a case of goodwill, perhaps that is exactly what
they were shooting for w/ the chocolates and the 'resolution credit'.
I'm just thankful to wake up each morning with my SO breathing beside
me.