Old April 10th, 2009, 09:25 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
bob burke

Default Mobile phones in Australia

If you intend to travel in remote areas, Telstra Next G offers the best
coverage, They offer some phones which are recomended for rural areas.
However large areas of outback Australia have very few inhabitants and do
not have any mobile coverage.

Bob

"Kerry raymond" wrote in message
The three gsm carriers have reasonable coverage. They are Telstra, Optus
and Vodafone (all other retail offerings use one of these 3 carriers). I
use Vodafone - simply because their rates are best for my usage pattern.

I have to disagree here. Our experience in going to rural Queensland is
that our Optus & Vodaphone GSMs often didn't have coverage even in
reasonalble large towns, and the locals were all using Telstra. But yes
Telstra tends to be more expensive -- you get what you pay for, I guess.
If you want to maximise coverage, it's got to be Telstra.

Kerry