Old April 8th, 2008, 09:32 AM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe
KGB

Default Time to stop flying?

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 04:51:20 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

AZ Nomad writes:

they're ****. Just a set of $10 headphones with an extra twenty cents worth
of foam on each side. The impressive part about bose company is that they
sell them for hundreds of dollars. There's one born every minute.

You're saying that they sell noise-cancelling headphones that don't actually
contain any form of active noise cancellation?

Hi

Actually I have a pair with no active noise cancellation, which work
surprisingly well for the price (a fraction of the cost of Bose - and
a lot more compact).

Basically, they are a pair of earplugs (they block the ear channel
completely) with speakers down the middle. Whilst probably not Hi-Fi,
the sound quality is amazingly good.

I recently used them on a flight from Heathrow to Buenos Aires (and
back) and, whilst not being perfect, I was favourably impressed with
how much extraneous noise they cut out. Certainly with even quiet
music at low volume on my MP3 player, they cut out virtually all cabin
noise.

They even have an adaptor plug to fit the phone socket on the seat
arm, but I didn't actually try that so cannot comment on how effective
that was.

Regards
KGB