Old January 20th, 2005, 06:46 AM
mrtravel

steinbrenner wrote:
The "extreme" example is what actually happened. Some poor third world
working stiffs were killed on the job and the best the cruise lines can
do for their families is hide behind the lawyers. Keep in mind if a pax
meets such an unfortunate fate, their family will have the same legal
hill to climb. Foregn company operating in international waters. Lotsa
luck.

Actually, there is a big difference here. The cruise passenger from the
US probably bought their cruise in the US, and did not sign an agreement
limiting settlements to the country of registry. Cruising is cheaper due
to this low cost labor. Cruising would not be so popular if price wasn't
a factor. If US law doesn't apply for the pay and hours for working,
why should it apply for injuries suffered during this work. Note: This
has nothing to do with "fair". Life isn't fair.
It is was fair, we wouldn't have so many people trying to immigrate to
the US for economic reasons. However, from the plus side, cruise ship
jobs not only enable people to make more money than they would in their
home country, but provide them money to take care of their families.

If you feel badly about this, all you have to do is start a fund to
collect money for the 18 people that died from that incident. I am more
concerned over the 200,000 plus that died from the Tsunami.