Old August 10th, 2012, 12:28 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim.....

Default Don't get scammed by Hotwire and Budget on car rental

"Brian" wrote in message ...

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 16:58:03 +0000 (UTC), (Király)

I was scammed by Hotwire and Budget.

You returned the car later than the time you said you would return it.
How is that them scamming you?

Moral of the story, if you are going to use Hotwire (or other online
travel agencies) to book a car rental, make sure that you put the
return time as late as possible without incurring an additional days
charge, otherwise the rental agency can take you to town if there are
any changes to your drop-off time

Well yeah. You were quoted a rate based on returning the car by a
specific time. You returned it later than the time you had booked it
for, and had to pay extra.

Moral of the story, if you want more than what you paid for, pay up.

If I have this correct, it seems like the car was returned before the
pickup time. Example, car is picked up a 3 PM and the dropoff time is
listed as 10 AM. Instead it is dropped off at 1 PM and another day's
charge is incurred even though the day was already paid for.

I'm not a big fan of Budget (or Alamo) for a number of reasons but I
haven't heard of this one before.

I agree. I thought the OP meant this and I too think that it is sharp
practice.

Though I'm not persuaded which it is of the protagonists who is the guilty
party

tim