Old May 15th, 2004, 10:31 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default Mastercard ATM problems: Warning!

Alfred Molon wrote:

S Viemeister wrote:

My bank automatically 'upgraded' me to a debit card. I insisted on having
it changed back to a 'plain vanilla' ATM card, even though the first few
people I spoke to, insisted it was impossible and claimed that 'all our
cards are debit cards now'.

Is there a difference between a debit card and an ATM card ? Credit
cards give you a credit and you can pay back in rates, but debit cards
deduct the amount instantly or within a few days from your account.

I may be mistaken, but it's my understanding that a "debit" card is used
like a normal credit card (for purchases only) but the purchase is
charged against your account as soon as the charge slip reaches your
bank. An ATM card is for obtaining cash (although in the U.S. it can
also be used for purchases, with or without "cash back", in many grocery
stores and fast food restaurants). If the two are combined, the card
can be used either as an ATM card or a credit card - I really don't see
any advantage to the consumer, but of course the bank gets its money
faster for merchandise charges made on a debit card, because it does not
need to send you a monthly statement in order to get paid.