Old July 10th, 2004, 11:59 PM
Jan

Default Best hotel in KL

Matthew wrote:
Hi. I am making my way through Bangkok and KL over a few days at the
end of August. My hotel in Bangkok I have pretty much decided will be
the Grand China Princess, as it has nice rooms (of a 4-star standard,
although the hotel is only a 3 star) and will cost me only 1500baht
(with the current strengh of the pound, this is only 20 pounds, which
would not even pay for a youth hostel in England) for two people, and
is close to my favourite eating place in Chinatown.

In KL however, I see that prices are surprisingly (considering that
Malaysia seems like a more affluent country) quite a bit cheaper, and
even the most expensive five-star (the Carcosa Sari Negara) will cost
me less than £100. So I am therefore looking to stay in the nicest
hotel in KL, given my party of 2 adults + a 2 year old. Being in
walking distance of the shopping centres is a major plus, but
recreational facilities or gardens (such as at the Shangri-La could
offset this). I am afraid I would not know what to do with the butler
service at the Ritz, so this seems rather a waste - I would be more
impressed with a high-quality room.

So I am looking between

the Mandarin Oriental
the Shangri-La
the Regent

or any other hotel that anyone can recommend... (the place of the
golden horses looks nice, but the mines resort concept didn't seem all
that exciting - the theme park looks pretty feeble, but again I am
open to be persuaded that it's actually wonderful).

I would also like to know the best place for *Malaysian* dining in the
city - no Chinese, I want high-class Malaysian cuisine.

Thanks!

PS. I am getting my rates from
http://www.planetholiday.com/city/14524.htm - www.asiatravel.com is
too popular and way overpriced.

Have you tried looking at www.asiahotels.com
The Renaissance is nice as is The Istana. For its Location I like the
Swiss Garden, We always finish our trip by staying here, taking advantage of
the "Swiss Privilege" package, however I don't believe they allow children
on the executive floor.
Jan