Old August 21st, 2013, 12:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Clarke

Default Cell phone for European travel

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 21:15:42 +0200, Erick T. Barkhuis
wrote:

Tue, 20 Aug 2013 13:16:46 -0400, Frank Clarke
:
I need advice on a CHEAP way to have a cell phone available for

travel in

If you're visiting several countries on your trip, don't bother.
Firstly, initial SIM registration may take several days. Secondly,
you'd be roaming anyway.
So, bring your US phone and give it a try, first.

On top of that, many countries still show phone booths at street
corners.

My US phone is CDMA -- guaranteed not to work in Europe.

I will need a new phone. The base question is "Where to get an inexpensive
unlocked GSM phone and cheap service for Europe?" Lots of companies offer the
service -- I can look that up online -- but what do you experts opine?

FrankC
(chg Arabic# to Roman to reply)