Old December 11th, 2008, 04:11 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz
AZ Nomad[_3_]

Default Report from the US, a nice but somewhat backward country.

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 13:30:33 +0100, Frank Slootweg wrote:
[Crossposted to rec.travel.usa-canada and rec.travel.australia+nz

7. Americans don't grasp that mobile phones are actually ... ummm ...
*phones*.

When I wanted/needed to register the pre-paid AT&T GoPhone mobile
phone which I had to buy, AT&T insisted on having me use *another*
phone to perform the registration procedure. Duh! What about using
the bloody mobile phone itself, like is done in every other
country!?

usually the procedure involves popping out the battery and reading
back the ESN and also power cycling the phone. It's kind of difficult
to remain on a call if your phone is powered down.

9. Americans can't drive.

They have the "Keep your lane" *theory*, which has its advantages
and disadvantages, but they interpret it in *practice* as "Keep the
left lane", which is the worst of all possible solutions, because
now some of them find themselves behind a slower car in the right
(pun unintented) lane, and have to merge into *faster* traffic,
instead of into slower.

Absolutely no argument there. It varies by area with cities being
the most aggressive, and rural areas being the most clueless.

America is a society of "me first **** you" and instant gratification.
Drivers don't plan ahead; when a lane change is necessary, the person
expects to be able to simply shove their way between the two cars in
the desired lane. They won't signal of course, because the other cars
seeing the impending car about to slide into 1.001 carlengths will close
the gap. I always signal. I always plan my lane changes so I have
plenty of time. If you signal and are willing to wait a whole 10
seconds, traffic will almost always open a gap to let you in.

America also has a love affair with the car with it being a status
symbol. The usual rule of thumb is "the smaller the dick, the bigger
the truck." I couldn't help laughing at the idiots with their gas
guzzlers when gas tripled in price last summer.

I've found some amusing tactics. For example, on my way to work, there
were two exit lanes on the right of a blvd for a highway. The left lane
could be used for east or westbound on the highway. The right lane
was westbound only. I needed to go west bound on my trip to work, but
everybody east and westbound was piled up in the right lane backing up
at least 3 traffic light cycles. I'd be the first in the middle lane
at a red light and need to merge to the right. Of course MFFY driver
in the right couldn't permit me to get ahead of him. My tactic was
simple. Floor it. Let the driver on the right do the same to cut
me off. The slow down and get in the nice gap he opened up behind
himself.

The main trick is to let the uber agressive drivers get ahead of you.
It's easier to see when they wreck and get out of their way if one is
behind them. It is amazing that they never save time. Half the time
I'll pass them later while they're stuck behind a truck or buss because
they are incapable of looking down the road to plan ahead.

As far as lane discpline and passing on the left, it varies by region.
The midwest is the worst, the north east is the best. Driving around
boston, I actually experienced drivers staying on the right, using
the left to pass and then returning to the right. Imagine that!
The standard california lane change is to put the signal on (optional)
close one's eyes, and then slowly drift into the lane of choice. The
other cars are expected to get out of the way.