Old February 20th, 2013, 01:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

Default What is your favorite European megalithic? (other than Stonehenge)

On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 12:20:24 PM UTC, David Horne wrote:
Surreyman wrote:

[]

Not megaliths, but we did similar in Petra in the 1990s. Having 'suffered'

the package tour in the first half of the valley amid hundreds of others,

we spent the night in a nearby small hotel and were the first to walk into

Petra just after dawn. We had the entire valley to ourselves for an hour

or so. Total magic.

Ah, good tip. A little OT but we're visiting Israel/Jordan in April and

I'd wondered about spending a night in Petra just for that...

David

--

(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate

www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)

"[Do you think the world learned anything from the first

world war?] No. They never learn." -Harry Patch (1898-2009)

Do it - an experience we've never forgotten.
It gives you time, too, to get up onto the heights (Monastery etc.) where the guided tours never go - in fact they rarely get beyond the amphitheatre a third of the way along the valley!
More than happy to discuss further if you wish.