Old November 13th, 2008, 06:18 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Peter Webb[_2_]

Default East coast by car in 2 weeks ?

wrote in message
Hi,

The car's definitely my favorite means of transport. It's expensive,
but gives you the most freedom, by far.
Does anybody know whether it's any reasonable, given the distances, to
consider traveling all the way from Sydney to Cairns, along the coast,
by car in 2 weeks time ? (Cairns - Sydney by plane)
(ie. will I basically just spend all my holidays driving..? Or maybe
the landscapes are worth it, eventhough yes I'm going to spend quite a
long time on the road..?)

Thank you very much in advance.

Sure. Its only a few thousand kms, so you can do it in a few days.

Be warned, and with respect to any QLDers reading, by car there's not a lot
to see north of Maryborough until you get to Cairns.. The towns along the
route - Bundaberg, Gladstone, Mackay/Airlie Beach, Townsville, etc are great
places to explore offshore islands, but what you see on the mainland is
mostly marginal swampland/scrub, mangroves, sugar cane and industry -
aluminium smelters, port cities, and shops for farmers. Unless you visit the
islands, the almost 2,000 kms of driving doesn't give you much in terms of
scenery.

Sydney to about 3 hours north of Brisbane by the coast road is however a
great drive, with lots to see and do.