Old September 15th, 2003, 01:08 AM
Please invert everything left of the @ to reply

Default Cell phone for snow bird

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 21:22:16 GMT, "Frank F. Matthews"
wrote:

AT&T appear to be interested in your business. FFM

However, ATT Wireless
attws.com
has two systems in the US - TDMA and GSM.

Try to avoid GSM as GSM coverage is scarce outside major metro areas. TDMA
has much better coverage - but, the best thing to do is to ask folks where
you will be staying if they have cellphones. If so, ask which cellular
company, if ATTWS which model of phone (so you can determine if they are on
TDMA or GSM) and how well it works.

Paul wrote:

Getting to be that time of year when an old man's thoughts turn to
warmer pastures in the south. In previous years we've taken our Telus
Mobility (B.C.) phone with us and have paid dearly in some cases for
roaming charges, in some cases as high as $6.00 per day. Now I'm
thinking of getting one of the U.S. cell phone providers for the time
we're south of the border, preferably one that would allow roaming in
the western U.S. (CA, NV, AZ, NM, etc.) without exorbitant additional
charges. A U.S. mailing address would be no problem.

What I'm after is a plan that would not require a long-term contract,
nor do I require a "free" phone. I'm not all that concerned with the
amount of minutes/month as much as being able to be reached. A
reasonable long-distance rate plan would also be a plus, but I'd be
willing to use phone cards if necessary.

I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

Paul

--
Nobody but a fool goes into a federal counterrorism operation without duct tape - Richard Preston, THE COBRA EVENT.