Old September 5th, 2006, 12:09 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
jrk

Default A few words on S. Africa

Just got back from S. Africa; Cape Town and Kruger Park in particular.
Since I got some pretty sound advice a few months back from this group,
I guess I owe this brief report.

A summary: what a great country. I keep my fingers crossed that it
succeed in the future, against all the odds.

Specifics on Kruger Park:

I bought a package from Siyabona agency, in some way affiliated with
Kruger. 3 days/2 nights in Skukuza camp, including transfer from and to
Jo'burg. I think all in all it was a good choice. Everything was
professional, service was friendly and efficient. In brief, I got what
I paid for. As to the question raised earlier on this group, whether
one could see as much, or possibly more, at less cost, by renting a car
and doing Kruger individually: perhaps yes. However, certainly not if
traveling alone, as I was. Also, although both the roads to Kruger and
within it, are well-maintained and well-marked, I could have easily
missed half the wildlife sightings were it not for the professional
guides accompanying me. Simply put, only occasionally the animals walk
across the road. More frequently, they are grazing (or hunting) off the
road, and if you are driving, there is little chance you can see them.
The choice is easily yours.

Here are some pictures I took during those few days including the Cape:

http://home.comcast.net/~jurek_k/tra...rica_2006.html

Mark, I appreciate your input to this group.

Kind regards, jrk