Old September 5th, 2006, 02:43 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
riverman[_1_]

Default A few words on S. Africa

"Marc Lurie" wrote in message
On 4 Sep 2006 16:09:17 -0700, "jrk" wrote:

Just got back from S. Africa; Cape Town and Kruger Park in particular.
Since I got some pretty sound advice a few months back from this group,
I guess I owe this brief report.

A summary: what a great country. I keep my fingers crossed that it
succeed in the future, against all the odds.

SNIP. SNIP

jrk, I'm delighted that you enjoyed yourself, and I can only say that
you are always welcome to return here at any time.

Regarding your comments about self-driving in Kruger... You certainly
have a point about solo driving being a problem for game spotting, but
if you have a passenger you should have a great time. The secret is to
drive well below the speed limit. You won't see anything but the
absolutely obvious if you drive at 40km/h. :-)

Other games spotting tricks help, such as:
1) Divide your vista into near, middle, and far distance and scan each
zone seperately
2) Always scan right to left because you concentrate better that way
(it's opposite to the direction you read, so you mind is more active)
Of course, Israeli's and Arabs should scan left to right.
3) Never stare at a spot to see if there's something there because the
image burns onto your vision and can obscure your vision
4) Look for inconsistencies in colour or shape, rather than complete
animals. Rounded objects are out of place in upright grass for
example, and are probably ears or a head.
5) Use your peripheral vision as much as possible. It's easier to spot
movement with you peripheral vision that with your central vision.

You forgot:
6) Walk around with a chunk of raw meat tied to your hat.

:-)

--riverman