Old April 20th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Phil Richards

Default Beware - credit card rip-off

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 20:55:49 +0100 Padraig Breathnach
said...

In such cases, I would see it differently: you have the whip hand. You
will almost certainly bought on the basis of a menu or price display
showing prices in the local currency from a trader who had also
displayed a sign showing willingness to accept your type of CC. The
reasonable inference is that the trader must accept settlement in the
local currency charged to your CC account. Anything else done without
your express agreement is taking an indefensible liberty.

I wholeheartedly agree with you there. I'll be one step ahead next time
and before I hand my card over I'll be asking ask the retailer first. In
Ireland or the US for example no problem, however it could prove
different when there are language differences and I'm afraid to say that
is where the consumer is most likely to loose out. The phrase "they are
supposed to ask first" before taking the option to bill in local or
currency or whatever I take with some suspicion. This of course may or
may not be laid down in some terms & conditions between agreed the
retailer and their card handler.

Depending on the adverse publicity and negative reaction from consumers
coupled with an increase number of complaints and charge back disputes I
somehow can't see this practice lasting for very long. We'll see.

--
Phil Richards
London