Old July 25th, 2011, 07:14 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 128

Default Recommendations for car rental from Athens Airport

martin's help is like a hole in his potty.

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :

On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 15:25:00 +0200, Tom P wrote:

On 07/05/2011 11:48 PM, Martin wrote:

On 2011-06-23 12:36:15 -0500, Tom P said:

On 06/19/2011 03:24 AM, Dan Stephenson wrote:
Hello, in the Fall I will travel to Greece, flying into Athens and
heading to the Pelopponese by car, for maybe 10 days.

There are several car rental places at the airport: Avis, Budget,
Hertz,
National/Alamo and Sixt.

Can anyone recommend one more than the rest? I wouldn't be buying the
high-dollar collision damage waiver.

Thanks,

I can't speak for Athens, but what you might want to consider are
- does the company have an on-airport depot or do you have to wait for
the courtesy bus and even worse, find the depot again when you return
the car. Off-airport depots are a lot cheaper, but driving round at
night in the back streets of some industry park looking for the depot
while the time for your check-in ticks away is no fun.

That is a good point. Sometimes "airport" car hire is something
off-site, though somewhat nearby.

Hey I just said "car hire" instead of "car rental", without thinking
about that. I'm already getting in the travel mindset! whoo hoo!

- do the airline and car rental company have a big fly&drive deal, in
which case you may be standing in line for hours with all the other
pax that booked fly&drive.

What is fly&drive? and if I made a reservation -- I would expect the
car
to be there

Some airlines or tour operators offer packages or special rates with
specific car rental companies. The effect is that even if only 10% of
the passengers on a 200 seat plane have booked this deal, then they will
all arrive at the car rental desk at exactly the same time - and you
probably know how long it takes just to get one customer serviced at a
car rental desk.

The delay is the same whether or not you have a fly drive package. If
you have a Hertz or Avis card the form is preprinted all that is
needed is your signature/initials.

.. or you have booked with a car rental that is not part of the
fly&drive scheme, and there is no queue at the counter g

or you booked with Hertz in Rhodes who rented all the cars on a first
come first served basis and ignored bookings.
--

Martin