Old August 17th, 2006, 05:06 PM posted to rec.travel.air,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
[email protected]

Default Draconian vacation policies for US slave workers

In article .com,
(Tchiowa) wrote:

Article: 906477 of rec.travel.europe
From: "Tchiowa"
Newsgroups:
rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.briti sh,soc.culture.usa,alt
.politics.bush
Date: 17 Aug 2006 08:35:06 -0700
.com
. com
.com
.com
. com
. com
. com
. com
. com
. com
. com
. com
om
.com
.com
rec.travel.europe:906477 soc.culture.british:1122792
soc.culture.usa:2041373 alt.politics.bush:4155526

Jordi wrote:
Tchiowa wrote:
Jordi wrote:
If you are unable to understand the difference between
government
control and regulation then you have a real problem with
economics.

You keep telling 4 weeks holiday is 'control'

??? No I didn't. I cited that as one example that is part of a
bigger
problem. 4 weeks holiday is not "control". Government ordering that
companies provide benefits that aren't related to performance is one
example of control.

Pulling back now? You kept telling a 4 week holiday was unsustainable
and government interference until provided with a couple of examples.

You took 2 separate arguments and tried to piece the words together.
And you didn't do a very good job.

And which examples are you talking about? Australia? (You were wrong)
Sweden? (You were wrong) In fact you haven't come up with a single
example. Not one. Every nation you've mentioned that has a government
mandated minimum of 4 weeks vacation has a higher unemployment rate
than the US. The only one that is less is Norway and they are a tiny
country.

In Europe it's part of a much, much bigger problem.

There is a problem with unemployment in Europe. It's not at all
related
to the vacation policy, as some countries (some of them in Europe)
show.

Which ones? Again and again. You keep saying that then when you cite
countries they turn out to have significantly higher unemployment than
the US.

The mandatory 4 week vacation is not the sole cause. But it is
undeniably one of the causes.

Australia's unemployment rate is the lowest it's been in decades,
yet
still 10% higher than the US rate (4.6% - 5.1%, a .5% difference
which
is 10% of 4.6% - had to do the math for you so we don't have to
exchange 20 more postings to get you to understand).

5% is usually considered a full employment figure.

And Australia is slightly above that and the US is below that. And this
is the lowest it's been in Australia in decades. As compared with a
fairly typical US unemployment rate.

http://www.budget.gov.au/2005-06/ove...verview_06.htm

Sweden's rate is about 6%, even higher.

Recovering from a 90s economic crisis, and published at 5,8%.

Substantially higher than the US which is also recovering from a 2001
recession.

http://www.indexmundi.com/sweden/unemployment_rate.html

OK. "Other Scandinavian countries"? OK.

Finland (2004, the most recent I found without spending hours
proving
you don't know what you're talking about): 8.9%.

Finland is not a Scandinavian country, better brush up your geography.

It was in Scandinavia when I was there. Did they move it?

http://www.goscandinavia.com/

"Welcome to the Official Website of the Scandinavian Tourist Boards in
North America. Please feel free to browse the country websites of
Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandin...logy_and_usage

Geographically the Scandinavian peninsula includes mainland Sweden and
mainland Norway, and also a part of Finland

The beginning of that page states:

"The original and most common definition includes continental Denmark,
mainland Norway and Sweden."

and goes on to say:

"Sometimes Finland is included"