Old February 8th, 2008, 05:34 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
J. Clarke[_2_]

Default Eastern Usa- Canada

Ed Treijs wrote:
In article
,
max11 wrote:
On 6 Feb, 17:50, (Ed Treijs) wrote:

I think you're right, Ottawa is on the way but I read Quebec is
much
more better than Ottawa and much more different from both Montreal
and Toronto. Are you agree?

Quebec City is a very old, historic city. I forgot about this year
being 400 year celebration. But the celebration is in the news that
it is not getting much interest or excitement. Also, a big
attraction of Quebec City
is that it is a very old walled town, which is not usual in North
America.
You are coming from Europe, so do you want to visit a place that is
noted
for being "old Europe"? When I visit Europe, I am not very
interested in seeing "North American-style" places!

Quebec is not a "walled town". "Old Quebec", which is a section of
the city, is such a town but it is a small part of the city.

If the festival is not getting much attention that is IMO a good
thing--I made the mistake last year of arriving during the Molson
festival and the place was packed--couldn't even find motorycycle
parking within an easy walk of the Old City.

Ottawa has as nice a setting as Quebec, in my opinion. There are
many
national museums in Ottawa: National Gallery and Museum of
Civilization (just across the river in Hull) are two major ones that
I can think of.
The Tulip Festival will be happening in May:
http://www.tulipfestival.ca/en/index.php

One difference I can see is that there is no "just across the river"
in Quebec--Levis is a different town.

Ottawa is definitely a larger city with more going on than Quebec.

You would have to tell us more of your interests for us to be able
really say if you should visit Ottawa or Quebec. I can tell you
that
from Montreal to Ottawa is about the same time as Montreal to
Quebec,
but Quebec
to Toronto is much longer than Ottawa to Toronto.

Now, after some days of rest from all this fares!, i 'll begin to
find accommodation and the best way to move.
So you say it's better to go to Niagara from Toronto instead of
from
NY.

I do not understand your question here. You wrote originally:
Quebec City (2)
Toronto (3)
Niagara (1)

That shows that you will go to Niagara from Toronto, yes?

My recommendation is that you rent a car instead of taking a bus
tour, and drive. You should be able to find a one or two day rental
pretty cheaply
in Toronto. If you can't find one, or you decide that you don't
want
to drive, then you can take a bus tour or train to Niagara. This is
one part
of your trip that you don't need to plan much in advance. There are
many rental places and many bus tours. The difficult part is to
find
the inexpensive rentals. For example, Budget was running a
promotion
where a
car from Friday morning to Monday morning was under $100, with a few
hundred km free. But you will not find this on their web site! (I
am not sure if the promotion is still on, but it is an example of
what you can
find.)

I noted there are some GREYHOUND PASS (7 DAY $ 283.00 - 15 day $
415.00 - 30DAY 522.00) with which I can go to Canada too. I don't
know if is good or maybe can be cheaper travel with special bus or
train fares, such as ticket with a certain # of advance booking
days?
ANyone knows about these?

I am not sure a pass will be economical. But it is also hard to say
how to get the best fares. For example, Coach Canada runs buses
directly between Montreal and Toronto. I have seen advertisments
about "$1 fares". On
their website coachcanada.com they say "as low as $10". By trying
different days, I do find some $10 one-way fares. That is very
inexpensive! But how would you find out from Europe? It is hard.

Rental companies and bus companies have many bargains. You only
find
out about these bargains by seeing an advertisment on the back of a
bus, or in
the newspaper. Some bargains are not available on-line, so you have
to telephone or visit their office. Of course, they hope you see
their ads, think of them, but pay their "regular" rates in the end.

....Ed

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)