Old February 6th, 2009, 05:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Martin D. Pay

Default Why expand Heath Row and not Gatwick?

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 09:41:11 -0600, Dan Stephenson
mangled uncounted electrons thus:

I listen to the BBC World Service quite a bit and I know of the desire
to build another runway.

American Airlines recently switched, or is switching, all their flights
from Gatwick to airport at Heath Row.

Would any Britons in the group tell me why there should be a
concentration there, as opposed to expanding Gatwick or one of the
others? If the trouble is making connecting flights they should look
at improving the 90 minute bus ride between the airports.

At the time of the last expansion to Gatwick in 1979 there was a
legally binding agreement made with the local council that there
would be no further expansion considered until 2019 at the
earliest (the council remains opposed to any expansion even
then).

There has always been the intention to give Stansted a second
runway (I saw the plans for this back in the late 1980s when the
current terminal building was under construction) but
transatlantic routes have a history of failure from this airport,
which remains the UK home of Ryanair and their short-to-medium
haul European operations. Whether the second runway will
encourage new long-haul operations remains to be seen (but I
rather doubt it).

Luton remains relatively small. I don't believe that there is
room for a second runway there and this site is likely to remain
the home of Easyjet and various charter operators.

Which leaves Heathrow (one word not two!). The current government
has forced through the third runway and sixth terminal, although
the Tories have stated that they will cancel the third runway if
they are returned to power in the next general election (which
must take place no later than IIRC May 2010). As it stands
however the third runway is due to open in 2020... @_@

Martin D. Pay
The problem of transfers between Heathrow and Gatwick is the
M25...