Old February 7th, 2009, 05:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

Default Why expand Heath Row and not Gatwick?

"nightjar .me.uk" cpb@insert my surname here wrote in message

wrote in message
On Feb 7, 11:53 am, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk
wrote:

Southend Corporation have always wanted to expand Southend airport,
which,
at one time, was the main freight airport for London. The road and rail
links would not need a lot of upgrading to make it easily accessible
from
London, which would also benefit the town as a whole.

Surely Stansted - which already has some of the infrastructure and is
a little more accessible for the rest of the country in terms of
location - would be a better option if it was decided to expand in
Essex?

Is Stansted more accessible from anywhere else without passing through of
near London? Perhaps from some parts of the East Coast, but I wouldn't
have thought signifanctly more so than an improved Southend.

If you live somewhere, anywhere, more than about 50 miles north of London
then Stanstead is significantly easier to get to.

--
William Black

Time for tea.